Ensuring an accessible experience for your kiosks
Hardware and software must work seamlessly to create a user experience that is accessible across the spectrum of disability needs. With help from the JAWS® (Job Access with Speech) screen reader, ZoomText® Magnifier, and supported devices like the Storm Assistive Technology Products, your kiosk deployment will align with your organization’s accessibility goals.
Why choose us?
The Paciello Group (TPG) works to create a quick and simple kiosk experience that will ensure all users who are blind or have low vision will have a positive and productive experience when navigating your website or application. The goal is to mirror a sighted user’s experience as closely as possible. Our team is well versed in all aspects of the kiosk deployment and combines kiosk industry expertise with TPG’s dedication to website and application accessibility.
- Waiver Signing
- Point of Sale
- Hotel Check-In
- Endless Aisle Shopping
- Tech Support Help Desk
- Virtual Receptionist
- HR Employee Paperwork/Forms
- Meeting Room Management
- Job Application Center
- Self-Service Bill Pay
- Voting Kiosks
- Smart City Applications
- ..and many more!
Kiosk Accessibility Consulting ServicesTPG Consulting Services that can be applied to kiosk projects:
- Accessibility Design Review
- Usability Testing
- User Research
- JAWS Implementation and JAWS Scripting
- Integration with Storm Assistive Technology Products
- JAWS Scripting
- Closed Environment & Onsite Testing
- Kiosk Accessibility Retrofit
TPG’s services include customizing pronunciation, instructions, and the user experience to support the kiosk application and input devices for users who are blind or have low vision.
JAWS screen reader software offers features that work specifically with Storm Assistive Technology Products and other alternative input solutions such as touch screens, keyboards, etc.
New kiosk-specific features of JAWS include:
- Thinner version of JAWS for closed environments
- Locked down features for use in closed environments
- Support for Storm Assistive Technology Products (NavPad™, NavBar™ and AudioNav™)
- Multi-language/Multi-voice JAWS support
- User session management
- Auto start JAWS upon insertion of audio device
- Auto stop/session end automatic upon withdraw of audio input
- Compatible with kiosk system software
- Fully customizable through JAWS scripting
- Does not require an internet connection for full functionality
Additional resources on kiosk accessibility
- “A Tale of Two Rooms” blog post
- “Considerations for making an accessible kiosk” blog post
- Ensuring an accessible restaurant kiosk experience article in Modern Restaurant Management